Tenant FAQs

Displaying 1 - 12 of 24 Frequently Asked Questions

How long does the application process take?

Applications that are personally submitted by tenants at our head office are processed on the spot, while applications submitted at the building take two business days.

Can I make alterations or additions to my rental unit?

No alterations of any kind may be made.

What should I do to secure a unit?

Once your application is processed and approved, in order to secure the property, a minimum deposit that is equal to the administration fee is required. Should you not pay this, the unit will be treated as available for anyone to apply for and to secure.

Can I change the door locks without informing the JHC?

No; if you need to change your locks for any reason, you must tell your building manager and the work will be carried out by JHC contractors, at your expense. The JHC needs to be able to access any unit in an emergency.

How much will I need to pay?

Before signing a lease, you must pay a once-off administration fee, a deposit equalling to one month’s rent, a R500 utility deposit and the first month’s rental charges. The total amount you will need to pay to move in will vary between buildings and your application type. If you are self-employed you will need to pay a double deposit.

Can I rent a parking bay as well?

Yes; you need to complete a separate parking application form, which can be done at the building when you first move into your new flat, or any time thereafter, and you will need to sign a separate lease for the parking bay.

Does my rent include my electricity, water and sewerage?

  • No; water, sewerage and refuse are all billed separately.
  • Electricity is pre-paid in most buildings and can be bought at any supporting vendor.
  • Water is billed according to the meter readings taken for your unit.
  • Sewerage is billed at a fixed monthly rate according to the City of Johannesburg tariff schedule; this charge increases on 1 July each year.

Can I repair my car in the parking bay?

No; other tenants have the right to park their cars in a clean, uncluttered parking area.

How many people are allowed to stay in a flat?

The total number of occupants allowed per unit is:

  • Room & bachelor – 2 adults and 1 child
  • 1 bedroom – 2 adults & 2 children
  • 2 bedrooms – 4 adults & 2 children
  • 3 bedrooms – 6 adults & 3 children

Should I report vandalism, littering, loitering etc. to the Housing Supervisor or security?

Yes; on no account should you allow irresponsible people to affect the safety or cleanliness of the building you live in. Damaging property is a criminal offence. An individual may be prosecuted, and if convicted, will have a criminal record.

Can I allow my rent to be in arrears?

Rent must be paid on or before the 1st of the month in advance. Under exceptional circumstances you may apply for an arrangement to pay at a later date; however, approval is at the sole discretion of the landlord.

Do I have to pay for any damages caused by my visitors?

Yes; the situation is handled exactly as if you had caused the damage yourself. As the legal tenant, you are responsible for the behaviour of your visitors.