Can I stay in the unit if I’m divorced, separated from the legal tenant, or the legal tenant dies?

No; the person who signed the lease is the legal tenant. In the case of a death or a divorce, the family member remaining in the flat should contact the Johannesburg Housing Company immediately, produce a death or divorce certificate, and sign a new lease agreement in their name. This will be treated as a new application and the new applicant must meet the JHC’s qualifying criteria.

Type of FAQ: 
I am a tenant