How Jozi Meets Your Craving For Culture
Let’s take a look at some of the culture that makes Johannesburg the place to live.
Many people think city living means stripping oneself of the culture and homey aesthetics. In Johannesburg, this cannot be further from the truth, as the city houses some of the most culture-centric places, buildings, suburbs and people. What makes Johannesburg so special is the many people that come from different parts of the country and world who also have something to offer. Let’s take a look at some of the culture that makes Johannesburg the place to live.
Healing And Hearty Meals Kwa Mai Mai
Also known as Ezinyangeni, which means ‘the place of healers’, Kwa Mai Mai boasts a range of traditional and herbal medicine and practices from different cultures around South Africa. There is also a range of traditional clothes as well as accessories that showcase the different sides of South Africa, so if you need to attend a wedding or a glamorous occasion and want to bring African flavour to it, this is the place to shop. And the food? Kwa Mai Mai offers some traditional options from skop (cow, sheep or pig’s head meat), krummelpap (porridge), salads and salsa, masonja (Mopani worms), and so much more. If you are missing a taste from home, catch a taxi or park in Maboneng and take a walk to Kwa Mai Mai.
A Caraci Experience Of Fashion
In the heart of Johannesburg, you can find clothing brand Caraci, which offers a Johannesburg experience with a twist. Led by Sebo Marobela, a young designer from Limpopo who now resides in Johannesburg, this is what you can expect from a Caraci experience:
- You will make a custom bomber jacket or an African print clothing item - from concept to finished garment
- Explore and experience Johannesburg’s fashion district like never before. The Fashion Capital and the historical fashion square are located in the old Johannesburg city. The designer will walk with you to fabric shops in the inner city, where you will select a unique African print that you love from hundreds of options.
You will then meet a member of his design team and have your measurements taken, and collaborate with them on the creation of your custom jacket. The experience is paired with a photo shoot in the trendy neighbourhoods of Maboneng and Braamfontein, and a vlog video of the whole experience will be recorded and shared at the end (optional).
1. Choose a unique African print from one of our local fabric stores (fabric included).
2. Learn how to take body measurements for the making of clothing garments.
3. Cut the pattern and pieces for your custom bomber jacket or any other item made in African print.
4. Learn basic stitching and hand sewing in a practical lesson while putting together your garment (expert studio assistants will guide you).
5. While you enjoy lunch, your bomber jacket will be completed by our assistants.
6. You'll star in a street photoshoot wearing your custom bomber jacket
History Galore, Galeries Too
Johannesburg is a proud city that has invested in offering many South Africans and visitors the opportunity to learn about the history of the city and country at large. Take the Market Theatre, for example, which houses some of the most amazing local productions that celebrate and commemorate South Africa. There are also galleries that have artwork from local and international artists, collaborations and exhibitions. Museums? Johannesburg has those too, and there is also a theme park to give you the fun, adrenaline rush side of things if that is what you are looking for. There are libraries as well as a zoo in Johannesburg, and the parks in this city offer both relaxation and play. So you and your family are guaranteed to have a great time outside.
Nightlife Is Jozi’s Culture
When it comes to having fun in the nighttime, Johannesburg’s nightlife is an experience and a half. Offering safe spaces for people of all genders, races and sexualities, this city is a favourite among many South African and international celebrities. The likes of Braamfontein and Newtown are often hosts to events such as Vogue Nights (an LGBTQIA+ community event where they showcase different genres of fashion and dance through modelling on a runway-esque stage). Maboneng is where you will find famous rappers, DJs and musicians performing at restaurants/bars such as Cosmopolitan, Rooftop, Xavier, and Curiocity.
Come For The Vibe, Stay For The Culture
If you are looking to live in Johannesburg, you are in luck. JHC has a range of flats to rent around Johannesburg at affordable prices with amenities that make life easy. Take a tour of the city, decide where you’d like to live and let us take care of the rest. With JHC, we promise to give you a home you’ll love living in. Speak to us today.